[gradsusr] Control File for Mask

Justin Hicks jhicks2014 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:21:00 EDT 2016

GrADS Users,

I am trying to open up a netcdf mask file using 'sdfopen', but GrADS is not
opening it up. The mask should show values ONLY for Africa. I decided to
make a control file instead, but I am confused as how to write one for a
mask.

For this mask, land is given a value of 1 and ocean value are given a value
of 0.

The control file I have is below:

DSET ~/Downloads/Region15_AFR_maskv3.nc
options template
undef 0
Xdef  360 LINEAR -179.5  1.0
Ydef  180 LINEAR  89.5   1.0
Zdef   1  LINEAR  1.0    1.0
Tdef   1  LINEAR  00Z01jan1979 1mo
Vars 1
land=>land  0  t,y,x   land_mask
endvars

I have tried changing the undef value, but I get the same error each time I
run the command 'd maskout(evap,land.2-0.5)':

"Cannot contour grid - all undefined values"

I am not sure why all values are coming up undefined (the land area I want
isn't showing up either, instead it's the default world map). Perhaps it is
the Tdef? I'm not sure why a mask would need a tdef.

-Justin