[gradsusr] Merging files with CDO

NAGARAJU CHILUKOTI chilukotinagaraju at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:57:08 EDT 2016

I hope CDO not installed with netcdf support libs.

you just use the command

cdo sinfov yourfile

it should return the file information, if it is giving unsupported file
error. it means your CDO installation having error.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Justin Hicks <jhicks2014 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeff and Nagaraju,
>
> I made the files in GrADS using the 'set sdfwrite' and 'sdfwrite'
> functions if that matters. I have to use an 'sdfopen' to open them up, but
> using an 'ncdump' command in Linux does not work for these files.
>
> I'll double check to see if the libraries are installed.
>
> -Justin
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 3:38 PM, Jeff Duda <jeffduda319 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Justin,
>> Can you use ncdump to verify that the files are indeed in netCDF? I don't
>> use much CDO, but with other programs like NCL it matters what the file
>> extension is. You might try other extensions.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Justin Hicks <jhicks2014 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Users,
>>>
>>> I am trying to use CDO to merge two netcdf MERRA2 files from different
>>> decades.
>>>
>>> MERRA2_Monthly_1980-1991_Flx_1Deg_EvapFromTurbulence.nc
>>> MERRA2_Monthly_1992-2000_Flx_1Deg_EvapFromTurbulence.nc
>>>
>>> Both have monthly time-steps but different tdefs as you can see by the
>>> range of years.
>>>
>>> I've tried using these commands so far:
>>>
>>> cdo cat *file1 file2* *Output*
>>> cdo merge *file1 file2 Output*
>>> cdo mergetime *file1 file2 Output*
>>>
>>> I get an error each time that says:
>>> Open failed on >MERRA2_Monthly_1980-1991_Flx_1Deg_EvapFromTurbulence.nc<
>>> Unsupported file type
>>>
>>> I'm not too sure why this file is 'unsupported' when the two MERRA2
>>> files are both netcdf.
>>>
>>> -Justin

>> --
>> Jeff Duda
>> Post-doctoral research associate
>> University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology

*Dr. Nagaraju Chilukoti*
Post Doctoral Fellow
315 Portola Plaza
1255 Bunche Hall
Department of Geography
University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)
Los Angeles, California, 90095,USA
Phone (O): +1 (310)825-6628* Fax:*(310)206-5976
Mobile: +1-213-268-2252
Alt. Email : cnraju89 at ucla.edu