[gradsusr] geotiff files

Michael Mase masester at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 09:06:31 EST 2016

Sure, here is some documentation also:

www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib2/new_grid.html

Installing wgrib2 can be kind of a pain because you need fortran and gcc
pointed correctly, but once you get it set up, it's extremely useful. GrADS
might come with it, I'm not sure though.

My quick steps are:

-know the resolution of the product that you are working with
-know your starting and ending lat/lon

In the below example, I'm starting at a longitude of -145 and creating 760
points at a resolution of 0.125 degrees. Same goes for latitude, starting
at 15 degrees and going up 320 points at an interval of 0.125 degrees. This
will output a grib that is a lat/lon grid of 760x320 at a resolution of
0.125 degrees. This can also be used to interpolate the data to a finer
resolution if you prefer, but since you are using GrADS, I recommend simply
maintaining the original resolution and let GrADS handle the interpolation.

* wgrib2 input.grib2 -set_grib_type same -new_grid latlon -145.0:760:0.125
15.0:320:0.125 output.grib2*

Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

>>> http://meteo.caearte.conae.gov.ar/wrf