[gradsusr] Ensemble mean & Anomaly

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 10:10:50 EST 2016

>From my experience with GEFS data, each ensemble member is contained in a
separate file. So I hope your control file uses templating and has an EDEF
entry. If it doesn't, or you don't have all the data files, then that
explains why your 'define ensmean=ave(t850,e=1,e=21)' command is just
giving you the control member (because it's the only one present).

I assume by "anomaly" you mean the difference between a given ensemble
member and the ensemble mean. In that case, just plot the difference field
between an ensemble member and the ensemble mean. For instance,

'set e 2'
'd tmpprs - ensmean'

Jeff Duda

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 8:05 AM, Chorley Weather <
weatherstu at chorleyweather.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have a couple of questions, firstly I am trying get the mean run in a
> spaghetti graph of the GEFS but I seem to keep getting the control run.
> Here is the script:
>
> 'set t 1 65'
> 'set e 1'
> 'set csmooth on'
> 'set cmark 0'
> 'set lat 53';'set lon -2.23'
> 'set vrange -30 30'
> 'define t850=tmpprs(lev=850)-273.16'
> 'define ensmean=ave(t850,e=1,e=21)'
> 'set gxout line'
> 'set ccolor 2'
> 'set cthick 8'
> 'd ensmean'
>

> Second question, using the GFS how do I produce anomaly charts with this
> script, im not sure how to define it.....
>
> 'set t 'i
> 'set grads off'
> 'set csmooth on'
> 'define geopotdam = hgtprs(lev=500)/10'
> 'color -gxout shaded -30 30 1 -kind blue->white->red-> -xcbar 10.1 10.3
> 0.7 7.74 -fs 10'
>

> Regards,
> --
>
> Stuart Markham