[gradsusr] Speed optimizations

Travis Wilson - NOAA Federal travis.wilson at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 14 20:25:19 EST 2016

Hi James,

I converted the file to a netcdf via sdfwrite and you are right.  The file
opens almost instantly.  I wonder why grib files are so slow to open and if
this could be avoided?   It is worth noting that the netcdf file is about
3x larger even with using the -zip option.  Unfortunately since this is an
archive, we can't just increase the data stored by a factor of 3.

I like your idea of the OPenDAP server, we may have to check into this if
there is no other option.