[gradsusr] Wildcards with Forecast Data

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:02:44 EST 2016

Regardless of the template strings (what you call wildcards) you use, I
think you're going to have trouble using templating given the list of files
you appear to be using. It looks like you have GDAS files every three hours
from every six-hour cycle, but you want to use forecast hour 9, which
overlaps with forecast hour 3 of the next cycle. Even with a correct
usesage of template strings, gribmap/Grads is not going to handle that the
way you want. So first, determine which files you really want to use. Also,
since you have multiple time dimensions going on (one for the forecast
cycle, another for the forecast hour within that cycle), you're going to
have to add another directory or use separate control files to open all of
the data files. Do whichever is most convenient for you. One way you could
do it

DSET includes gdas.%y4%m2%d2/gdas1.t00z.sfluxgrbf%ff.grib2
Do that for each of four separate control files, one for each forecast cycle

The other way would probably be more confusing, but
DSET includes gdas.%y4%m2%d2/gdas1.t%h2z.sfluxgrbf00.grb2
Do that for each forecast hour

Jeff Duda

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Justin Hicks <jhicks2014 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Grads users,
>
> I am having a hard time making the control files for a few forecast grib2
> files. Below are the files I am using:
>

> gdas1.t00z.sfluxgrbf00.grib2
> gdas1.t00z.sfluxgrbf00.grib2.idx
> gdas1.t00z.sfluxgrbf03.grib2
> gdas1.t00z.sfluxgrbf06.grib2
> gdas1.t00z.sfluxgrbf09.grib2
> gdas1.t06z.sfluxgrbf00.grib2
> gdas1.t06z.sfluxgrbf03.grib2
> gdas1.t06z.sfluxgrbf06.grib2
> gdas1.t06z.sfluxgrbf09.grib2
> gdas1.t12z.sfluxgrbf00.grib2
> gdas1.t12z.sfluxgrbf03.grib2
> gdas1.t12z.sfluxgrbf06.grib2
> gdas1.t12z.sfluxgrbf09.grib2
> gdas1.t18z.sfluxgrbf00.grib2
> gdas1.t18z.sfluxgrbf03.grib2
> gdas1.t18z.sfluxgrbf06.grib2
> gdas1.t18z.sfluxgrbf09.grib2
>

> Each are in a directory named gdas.20150114, and I'm pretty sure the
> wildcards for this would be 'gdas.%y4%m2%d2'.
>
> I'm unsure what wildcards to include in the above listed part, as running
> gribmap did not work.
>
> -Justin

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant