[gradsusr] Suggestions for calculating a -20C Height Field?

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 16:35:44 EST 2016

LB,
My suggestion is to use the method of the code in zinterp and convert it to
tinterp where you interpolate to isothermal surfaces. You'd probably have
to create a rule to select which height in the event that a threshold is
crossed multiple times, as would happen with temperature levels. Maybe take
the highest one or something. It probably wouldn't take that much extra
coding. Just go through zinterp.gs and understand what each and every
command does (perhaps by entering them line by line at the command prompt
and evaluating the result before moving to the next step). That should
provide the insight you'd need to code up a tinterp script.

Jeff

On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 1:38 PM, L.B. <bcbass2989 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyone have any ideas for calculating a field which contains the -20C
> isotherm heights in meters?
>
> I have thought of a few ways, but they are only giving me pressure levels.
> I tried using the fndlvl function:
>
> define m20lev = fndlvl (tmpprs, const(tmpprs,253.15), z=1, z=80)
>
> This just gives me the pressure levels of the -20C isotherm. I suppose I
> could use teh hypsometric equation after using the fndlvl function.
>
> I also thought of using the zinterp.gs script, but again, this wants me
> to input the pressure level to interpolate to heights. My pressure levels
> vary, so this will not work. I fell like I'm missing something really
> obvious, but I can't put my finger on it.
> *-------*
> William (L.B.) LaForce
> Meteorologist
> www.tornadoinsanity.com