[gradsusr] Cluster Ensemble members

Bill Bua - NOAA Affiliate bill.bua at noaa.gov
Thu Feb 18 08:17:26 EST 2016

Thomas --

Correlation of each member to the others is part of the first step, and
represents the distance of the members from each other. Another part is
choosing the forecast variable most relevant for your clustering .... 500
hPa heights (this is a common one), sea level pressure, or some other
variable. While a global domain can be used, you may even want to choose a
smaller domain over which to cluster, say Europe or North America.

Once those decisions are made, things get a little fuzzy for me, but I can
recommend you read Tracton and Kalnay 1993 (Tracton, M. S., and E. Kalnay,
1993: Operational ensemble prediction at the National Meteorological
Center: Practical aspects.* Wea. Forecasting*, *8*, 379–398) or.Toth et al.
(Toth, Z., E. Kalnay, S. M. Tracton, R. Wobus, and J. Irwin, 1997: A
synoptic evaluation of the NCEP ensemble. Wea. Forecasting,12, 140–153
<http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/MWR-D-11-00016.1>.) for
details of using *anomaly* correlation as a distance metric in a clustering
algorithm.

Good luck!

Dr. William R. (Bill) Bua
UCAR/COMET/NCEP/EMC