[gradsusr] Performance Tips

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Mon Feb 15 09:15:29 EST 2016

Does lats4d write out netcdf4?

On Feb 14, 2016, at 3:36 PM, dan martin <sailmaui at gmail.com<mailto:sailmaui at gmail.com>> wrote:

I am not using the 1k data, but I have the same i/o speed issues with the nested nam conus. I've optimized by converting to netcdf. I download the grib2 and run g2ctl and gribmap. Then lats4d to convert to netcdf. This makes a lat/lon file and de-compresses the grib2. This is substantially faster than dealing with grib2 and pdef.

Here is a live example:

http://www.meteogram.com/servlet/metChart?zoom=20&gs=wrfradar&tau=2&lat=38.83&lon=-77.31&units=e

You can change the chart by adjusting the inputs. The zoom is roughly the longitude domain in degrees. As shown the larger the domain the longer it takes to load. If you change that to 50 and then to 5 you'll notice the speed difference. Overall it is fine for my needs. If I left it grib2 and pdef, it takes too long.

Dan