[gradsusr] Performance Tips

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Mon Feb 15 09:13:48 EST 2016

On Feb 14, 2016, at 12:34 AM, Christopher Gilroy <chris.gilroy at gmail.com<mailto:chris.gilroy at gmail.com>> wrote:

I figured this would be the perfect post to ask these questions in:

1.) "Defining" a variable actually 'costs' nothing in terms of performance, correct? It only actually gets calculated (the cost of processing) when you display it, right?
The define command copies the result of your expression into memory, so that the I/O and any calculations are done only that one time (when you invoke ‘define’). In a sense, all of the ‘cost’ is paid with define, and subsequent displays get the grid from memory, so they are effectively ‘free’. you can draw your defined grid twice (say, once for shaded contours and again for a line-contour highlight), without using any extra processing time. If you do not define your expression, but just ‘display’ it, then after the drawing is finished, the grid is released. If you ‘display’ the expression again, the I/O and calculations are repeated.

Many use ‘define’ and then ‘display' as a matter of habit, even if the grid is only drawn once and it would be just as fast to just use ‘display’ once. This practice does no harm, but it can lead to an unnecessarily bloated memory footprint of your GrADS session.

2.) Is there anyway to process the display once, but use it's output multiple times without incurring additional processing time? Simple example would be, display t step 2, but also fwrite the processed data to a file so when you process t step 3 you can just open the already processed data and simply add t step 3's data to it? Think of doing a total accumulation plot, the further out it gets the longer it takes to process (presumably) because it's calculating all previous hours data (which technically has already been processed) before it even calculates the current hours.
This sounds like a job for tloop().

3.) All of the pdef talk in this, without defining a smaller pdef is the actual entire file read as soon as you open the corresponding ctl file? From the way the talks have been in this, it seems so but I figured I'd ask.
The I/O for pdef’d data is done one grid box at a time, for each point in the destination grid (which is defined with your xdef and ydef entries). Assuming you are doing bilinear interpolation, for each grid box in the destination grid, four data points are read from the native grid, then the weighted average of those four points goes into one element of the array containing the interpolated grid. If the native grid is cached, then this 4:1 I/O factor is not so noticable. Grads does internal caching for grib, grib2, and netcdf4 data types. The operating system does some cacheing for binary data. The one that is really slow is netcdf3. It is very slow to read a high-res netcdf3 file that needs PDEF. It is only my list to add internal cacheing in the GrADS I/O layer for *all* data types, but I haven’t gotten that code written yet.

Perhaps I'm confused on what setting an actual lat/long 'does', I assume it calculated the display output based around those dimensions
and from the way I'm reading this it seems like the lat/lon is simply "controlling" grads in terms of the actual bounding dimension to display the data?
That’s right.

For example, we do this:

'set lat 10 68'
'set lon -138 -55'

'define radar1kagl = refd1000m.1'
'define hgt850tmp = tmpprs.1(lev=850)-273.15’

At this point your variable hgt850tmp is copied in memory, with the dimension limits you specified.

'set lat 20 58'
'set lon -128 -65'

'd hgt850tmp’
Now you changed the dimension limits and display the defined variable — no new I/O is performed from the original data file. If your new limits are outside the domain where the variable is defined, you will get missing data. In this case, your display will be complete because your new dimesions are within the domain of the defined variable.
—Jennifer

As you guys are probably aware, if we were to make the lat/lon before the define half the size the second lat/lon would still be the bounding box but the data would only be calculated from the first set, which is also why I'm questioning #3.