[gradsusr] Font variations from one Linux machine to another machine

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Sat Aug 20 10:25:50 EDT 2016

Here is some relevant info from the doc (http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/fontcontrol.html):

"The fonts that GrADS supports will depend on whether the font files are available on your particular system. On unix systems, look in /usr/share/fonts/ and /usr/share/X11/fonts/."

"When using Cairo fonts, you may see this error message pop up: Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file. This is a file that helps Cairo find fonts, but is only useful on the system where the library was originally built. The default config file is not required, and this message is harmless. The non-portability of font file locations is why it is necessary to specify the full path for a font file when using the set font<http://cola.gmu.edu/grads/gadoc/gradcomdsetfont.html> command.“

When you use ‘set hershey off’, Cairo looks for default sans/serif font, which may vary on different unix systems, depending on what is in /usr/share/fonts/ and whether it can find a default config file. Font files are not system dependent, so you can easily copy them from one place to another and populate the new server with font files from the old server.
—Jennifer