[gradsusr] Font variations from one Linux machine to another machine

Thompson, Matt (GSFC-610.1)[SCIENCE SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS INC] matthew.thompson at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 19 07:54:24 EDT 2016

On 08/18/2016 03:06 PM, Matt Bunkers - NWS Rapid City wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We just got a new Linux machine and I'm having to move all of my GrADS
> scripts from the old one to the new one.  Other than the machines,
> everything is the same, including my scripts and the GrADS software
> version.  However, the new machine is producing images that have
> different font than that produced by the old machine.  See attached
> images to see what I'm talking about?
>
> Why would this be the case if the GrADS scripts and software are
> identical from one machine to the other?

Do you have any 'set font' commands in your scripts referencing outside
fonts? If you are using new GrADS with Cairo, are you using any Truetype
fonts in your scripts?

If so, it's possible your new machine doesn't have a font installed that
your old one has (or perhaps a different version of that font...but
sans-serif to serif is a bit hard to if the name is the same). fc-list
should list all the fonts found on each machine to a user.

Matt

--
Matt Thompson, SSAI, Sr Scientific Programmer/Analyst
NASA GSFC,    Global Modeling and Assimilation Office