[gradsusr] Plotting cities

Stephen McMillan smcmillan at planalytics.com
Thu Apr 21 10:14:45 EDT 2016

Geoff,

Here's a short sample from a script that plots city location markers and
id's...

#Locations list:
loc.1='BOS -71.011 42.361';#locid lon lat
loc.2='PHL -75.23 39.868'
loc.3='ATL -84.427 33.64'
loc.4='ORD -87.914 41.986'
loc.5='DFW -97.019 32.898'
n=1;nlocs=5
while(n<=nlocs)
  locid=subwrd(loc.n,1);lo=subwrd(loc.n,2);la=subwrd(loc.n,3)
  'q w2xy 'lo' 'la
  px=subwrd(result,3);py=subwrd(result,6)
  'set line 1 1 1';#black mark when printim white
  'draw mark 3 'px' 'py' 0.04';#closed circle/dot
  'set strsiz 0.05';'set string 1 l 2';#black font when printim white
  'draw string 'px+0.05' 'py+0.05' 'locid;#offset locid string from marker
  n=n+1
endwhile

You would do above after displaying an appropriate variable on your desired
projection.  You could also read in the location data from a text file,
e.g., one city per loop iteration:

while(....
  data=read(citylist.txt)
  locdata=sublin(data,2)
  locid=subwrd(locdata,1);lo=subwrd(locdata,2);la=subwrd(locdata,3)
  'q w2xy 'lo' 'la
etc.

Hope this helps...
Stephen McMillan