[gradsusr] Confusiong about WEASDSFC, GFS

Bill Bua - NOAA Affiliate bill.bua at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 29 10:23:36 EDT 2015

Chris and other interested parties--

This has been a difficult nut to crack for both modelers and operational
forecasters. Lots of factors affect snow depth: the vertical temperature
profile as you've been discussing, but also wind (which will tend to
compact the snow), whether or not there's upward motion in the dendritic
growth zone to create those low-density fluffy flakes that can make 20:1
snow depth to WEASD, ground temperatures, and others.  It's an entire topic
of research in operational meteorology.

That being said, I'll have to check out that Kucera link also. :-)

Bill

Dr. William R. Bua
UCAR/COMET/NCEP/EMC
5830 University Research Court #2784