[gradsusr] VGP (Vorticity Generation Parameter)

L.B. bcbass2989 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 11:39:55 EDT 2015

I just use 0-3km bulk shear, and use the formula:

define vgp3 = (sqrt(CAPE)*shr3)/3000)'

To calculate mean shear though, you would need to sum up the shear values
through that layer and divide by that many levels. For 0-3km, the surface
to 700mb range is a good proxy, although keep in mind that your values will
be off in higher elevations.

*-------*

*William (L.B.) LaForce*Meteorologist
www.tornadoinsanity.com