[gradsusr] Setting missing values (or any value) to undefined

Goodson,Ron [Edm] Ron.Goodson at EC.gc.ca
Fri Oct 30 12:14:55 EDT 2015

If this is the only data being analyzed .. then wouldn’t just setting UNDEF in the ctl file be even easier (though I’ll admit the maskout is way more flexible and necessary if you have a bunch of different variables that each use different missing values).

From: gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org [mailto:gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Duda
Sent: October 30, 2015 9:46 AM
To: GrADS Users Forum
Subject: Re: [gradsusr] Setting missing values (or any value) to undefined

maskout(WC,WC+119.9)

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 10:06 AM, Matt Bunkers - WFO UNR <matthew.bunkers at noaa.gov> wrote:

Hi,

I have hourly wind chill (WC) grids for which I want to find the minimum WC.  The problem I have is that some of the areas of the grids are missing (set to -120).  When I compute the minimum WC and then display the result (as either image or contour) I get huge gradients between the real data and the missing data.  What I would like to do is set my missing data to undefined (so they don't plot).  I've tried that with the const function but that doesn't appear to work.  Is there another function that would allow me to set a given value (-120 in this case) of my grid to undefined?  If it is set to undefined then when I plot the grid I shouldn't see those horrendous gradients.

Thanks,

-- Matt

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant