[gradsusr] sflux (weasdsfc) with pgrb2.0p25 (tmpprs), lterp or lost hope?

Christopher Gilroy chris.gilroy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:29:23 EST 2015

Jeff,

So since I typically do

define zcomp006 = docalculations

define snow006 =
const((sum(maskout(weasdsfc.1-weasdsfc.1(t-1),weasdsfc.1-weasdsfc.1(t-1)),
t=2, t=2)*0.0393701), 0, -u)

define negto006 = const(maskout(zcomp006,zcomp006-1),40,-u)

define mor006 = const(maskout(negto006,41-negto006),40,-u)

define totalsnow006 = snow006*mor006
d totalsnow006

How would I go about making

define newfield = lterp(mor006,snow006) *this just does some interpolation
to make the grids play nice, right?

'd newfield' do that? *is the comma in lterp suddenly a * multiplier?

I can't see needing to lterp zcomp006 as that's strictly pgrb stuff.
snow006 is strictly sflux stuff. I'm following you somewhat with how lterp
works, but... yea, first time with lterp.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Jeff Duda <jeffduda319 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can interpolate between ANY two grids as long as both are defined
> somehow (i.e., in the control file).
>
> define newfield = lterp(snow006,mor006)
> OR
> define newfield = lterp(mor006,snow006)
> should do what you want, unless you want the output on a specific grid. In
> that case, use which ever field that's on the grid you want to interpolate
> to as the destination grid (second argument).
>
> Jeff DUda
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 1:18 AM, Christopher Gilroy <
> chris.gilroy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Alright, so I have 1 var that gets defined off a calculation with tmpprs
>> in pgrb2 files. I have another var that really just gets weasdsfc, with
>> some added calculations. My final var for display (for hour 06) is simply
>> 'totalsnow=snow006 * mor006' and obviously the two grids aren't the same so
>> grads doesn't like that. Is there any way to use lterp and somehow get them
>> to play nice? From the example, lterp you have to somewhat do:
>> lterp(weasdsfc.1, tmpprs.2) but since I'm defining vars and such each from
>> different files I don't know if I have to incorporate lterp into all my
>> define's now or?
>>
>> I don't think it's going to be possible to "up-sample" but all I'm
>> looking to get is temperature values from pgrb2 files, the actual
>> weasdsfc is from sflux. :-/

> Jeff Duda
> Graduate research assistant
> University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology
> Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms

-Chris A. Gilroy