[gradsusr] Plotting shaded fields on top of each other using transparent colors

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Mon Jun 29 14:07:07 EDT 2015

Jeff,
You need to use ‘set ccols’ instead of ‘set ccolor’. The color 0 will never be transparent, define another one
with an alpha of 0 (e.g. ‘set rgb 112 1 1 1 0’) and use that instead, if you want that color to not show. You could also use maskout() with the proper arguments and then nothing would be drawn on top of your contours.
—Jennifer
On Jun 29, 2015, at 1:29 PM, Jeff Duda <jeffduda319 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sending this again in case anyone missed it. I'm really at a loss for solutions here. Please help.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff Duda
>
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Jeff Duda <jeffduda319 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using version 2.1.a3. I wish to plot two color filled fields on the same map, except I want to use transparent colors for the second field I plot (overlaying the first) so that the first field will remain visible under the transparent colors in the second field. Here is the code I'm using:
>
>   'run temprgb 5 110 0'
>   'd 1.8*tmp2m-459.67'
>   'run xcbar 10 10.15 2 6.5 -line on'
>   'set gxout contour'
>   'set cthick 12'
>   'set ccolor 1'
>   'set clab masked'
>   'set cint 2'
>   'set clopts -1 6 0.08'
>   'd msletmsl/100'
>   'set clevs -1e-4 -5e-5 -1e-5 0 1e-5 5e-5 1e-4'
>   'set ccolor 100'
>   'set cthick 3'
>   'd smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(hdivg(ugrd10m,vgrd10m))))))))))))))'
>   'set gxout shade2'
>   'set clevs -1e-4 -5e-5'
>   'set rgb 110 100 100 255 -100'
>   'set rgb 111 0 25 225 -100'
>   'set ccolor 110 111 0'
>   'd smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(smth9(hdivg(ugrd10m,vgrd10m))))))))))))))'
>
> I have tried using gxout shaded, shade2, and shade2b, as well as using both positive and negative alpha values when defining colors 110 and 111, but the plot is always the same - the second field is plotted on top of the first fully opaque and covers it up. Also, for some reason, it thinks the color #0 is orange, which my background is set to white.
>
> What am I missing here?
>
> Jeff Duda
> --
> Jeff Duda
> Graduate research assistant
> University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology
> Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms
>

> --
> Jeff Duda
> Graduate research assistant
> University of Oklahoma School of Meteorology
> Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
George Mason University
4400 University Drive