[gradsusr] High resolution images problem

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Fri Jun 5 13:16:13 EDT 2015

Hello Julio,

I would also suggest you use PNG (the default image format for printim) or GIF. Both of these formats use lossless compression. JPG is lossy, and is intended for images with many colors (thousands or more) and without text or sharp borders between colors. When zooming in on the high resolution image, significant distortion is present. Since your images have a small number of colors, text, and abrupt transitions between colors, you should use PNG or GIF. JPG does not handle this type of image well.

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
253 Research Hall, Mail Stop 6C5
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030 USA