[gradsusr] Update on the 0.25 GFS data

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Jan 22 17:01:02 EST 2015

The 0.25-degree output comes in two separate files:
   ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.2015012212/gfs.t12z.pgrb2.0p25.f003
   ftp://ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.2015012212/gfs.t12z.pgrb2b.0p25.f003
The second one has the extra vertical levels and some of the new variables. I concatenate them together into one file before putting it behind our GDS. I guess they are not doing that at NCEP.
—Jennifer

On Jan 22, 2015, at 8:54 AM, Stephen McMillan <smcmillan at planalytics.com> wrote:

> Hi Jennifer,
> Thanks for the update, but one question for now...I noticed the 0p25 has 47 vertical levels, whereas the nomads.ncep version has 26.  Were these interpolated from the 26, or was the 0p25 on monsoondata derived from the 0p50, which does have 47 levels?
>
> Thanks for the great work you do!
> Stephen McMillan
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:
> Dear All,
> The 0.25-degree GFS data are behind our GDS at http://monsoondata.org:9090/dods/gfs0p25. I have added data for the 06z and 18z forecasts. Most of the weather maps are now based on the 0.25-degree data. I haven't yet optimized the cron jobs to get the data as quickly as possible. It is a good time to be reminded:
>

> COLA and IGES make no guarantees about and bear no responsibility or liability concerning the accuracy or timeliness of the images and data being published on our web servers.
>

> --
> Jennifer M. Adams
> Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA)
> 111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
> George Mason University
> 4400 University Drive
> Fairfax, VA 22030