[gradsusr] New meteogram with 0.25-degree GFS data

Bonan Antonino abonan at arpa.veneto.it
Wed Jan 21 04:45:21 EST 2015

This work on meteograms is very useful. We adapted the available script (retrieved from grads functions library) for our operational aims, since a long time, to get visual ideas about weather forecasts from models. We use ECMWF data.
So, just to get a better and fast visual forecast from thise kind of model output, we are left with (successful?) trials problems to solve.
Our plots of temperatures at 2 m not only contains the values at definite time steps (every 6 hours), together with dew point values... but also minimal and maximal temperatures of the (6-hourly) period ending at each step. The right visualization can let forecasters understand the plot without big efforts. We find that the shading by Jennifer is beautiful, but not so useful.
Plots of precipitation still have the problem of scaling, making different meteograms so difficult to compare...
The directions of wind in the upper plot can be badly understood by some forecasters, e.g. confusing between southerly and upward wind. Obviously, this is a problem with their hurry and not properly with the plots...
The upper plot has another more serious problem. Contour lines "come back in time" when (e.g.) an inversion layer is temporary. You can see that in the plot showed by Jennifer, let's say in the afternoon of 20JAN. As you can think, reality cannot be a freezing point which starts from the afternoon, lifts in the evening, go back to the same afternoon, get a time folding, then lowers in the same evening... It'just a graphical artifice, used by grads in its trial to plot a line being continuous in time/level surfaces. It is more difficult to avoid a wrong intepretation by forecasters, as they look for weather evolutions in meteograms: they could avoid the problem, only by looking for single snapshots... time step by time step. That is, they should abandon the comprehensive point of view of a meteogram!
I feel this problem could be faced with a new particular grads function: to get reliable plots in time/level surfaces, stopping contour lines when they "come back in time". I feel a script cannot be enough for such a purpose: at least, it would be too complicated.
Thank you for you work and good luck....

Dr. Antonino Claudio Bonan
Meteorologo
ARPAV- Servizio Meteorologico
via Marconi, 55