[gradsusr] How to convert grib to netcdf or read grib files in GrADS

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 12:23:19 EST 2015

Get yourself a copy of the perl scripts grib2ctl.pl and g2ctl from NCEP (a
Google search will turn them up). Those will create control files from GRIB
data. Then run gribmap on the control files to create an index file. When
that's done successfully, you will be able to plot the data in GrADS.

Jeff Duda

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 5:05 AM, dolesibeni <dolesibeni at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I am new to grib1 and grib2 data,  I downloaded these data sets from ECMWF
> site and the data is .grib and grb2 formart. I would like to work this data
> for a case study of extreme rainfall event and flooding that took place in
> my country.
> I downloaded this data becuase i wanted a high resolution data set and i
> was unable to get this thro7gh groogling. The data set contains, u and v
> components,precipitation totals, temperatures etc.
> Could anyone help how i can read this data using grads or hown i can
> convert it to netcdf format which i am familiar with. I tried to do the
> following:
> In windows  >cdo -f nc copy grip file outputfile.nc
>  And i am getting an error
> Please help
>

> Sent from Samsung tablet
>
> Davide Sacchetti <davide.sacchetti at arpal.gov.it> wrote:
> You are making same mess with template ... I try to show 2 solutions:
>
> you could cat all your files into a single one and avoiding template
> or splitting each of them into 12 (months) files. Using this second
> chance you could use template sal.%y4%m2.grb
>
> hoping it helps ...
>
> bye bye
> Davide
>
> On Tue, 2015-02-24 at 11:33 +0100, Andrew Friedman wrote:
> > Hi GrADS users,
> >
> > This is my first time using GRIB data or templates in GrADS, so I
> > apologize if this question is basic.
> >

> > I'm trying to open a set of annual salinity GRIB files (from Ishii et
> > al.) using the GrADS template feature:
> > http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/templates.html
> >
> > The files are sequential by year: sal.1945.grb sal.1946.grb
> > sal.1947.grb .... sal.2012.grb ....
> >
> > However, when I open the control file (below) with the templating
> > feature it only opens the first year (1945). I am able to open
> > individual files by modifying the control file, however.
> >
> > Do you know what I am missing to get all of the files to load at once?
> >

> > I downloaded the data from
> > https://amaterasu.ees.hokudai.ac.jp/~ism/pub/ProjD/v6.13/sal/grib/
> >
> > The control file sal.ctl is as follows:
> > DSET  ^sal.%y4.grb
> > INDEX ^sal.idx
> > dtype  grib 255
> > TITLE ANALYZED SALINITY AND ANALYSIS ERROR Ver. 6.13 ism at jamstec.go.jp
> > OPTIONS template
> > UNDEF  99999
> > XDEF 360 LINEAR     .5  1.00
> > YDEF 180 LINEAR  -89.5  1.00
> > ZDEF  24 LEVELS 0 10 20 30 50 75 100 125 150 200 250 300 400 500 600
> > 700 800 900 1000 1100 1200 1300 1400 1500
> > TDEF 816 LINEAR 15jan1945 1mo
> > VARS   2
> > s     24  88,160,0  salinity       [psu]
> > e     24 129,160,0  analysis error [psu]
> > ENDVARS

> Davide Sacchetti
> Centro Funzionale Meteo Idrologico di Protezione Civile della Regione
> Liguria
> [...]

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant