[gradsusr] Reading timesteps in Arpège grib2 file

Brian Gaze brian.gaze at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 15 16:32:47 EST 2015

Hi,

I'm working with Arpège grib2 files. These should I think each contain up to 13
hourly forecast timesteps. If I run...

g2ctl.pl -verf -b file.grib2 > file.ctl
gribmap -i file.ctl

...I'm able to open the .ctl file in GrADS but it only has 2 timesteps. T1 seems
to be the time the model was initialized and T2 the time of the first forecast
step.

If I try:

g2ctl.pl -b -ts1hr file.grib2 > file.ctl
gribmap -i file.ctl

It opens ok in GrADS and the correct number of timesteps are present but they
begin from the model initialization hour rather than incrementing from the time
of the first forecast step. For example:

Model initialization: 0z 15/12
Forecast time range contained in the file is +37 hours to +48 hours after
initialization

t2 = 1z 15/12
t3 = 2z 15/12
.. etc

As a consequence, when I try to plot a variable the grid is undefined.

What should I think be present is:
t2 = 13z 16/12
t3 = 14z 16/12
..etc

Any suggestions / ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

BWG