[gradsusr] make figure more clear

Jennifer M Adams jadams21 at gmu.edu
Mon Dec 14 10:53:44 EST 2015

Hi, Wendi —
I have several suggestions to improve your graphic:

1. You *really* need a hires map.
2. Those gigantic axis labels aren’t helping to orient us; make them smaller and change your Y axis increment to 0.5. Consider adding grid lines.
3. You could make the cloud data look better by using 10x times the number of contour levels in your grayscale palette.
4. As for the precip overlay, the contour lines are very difficult to see. I would use shaded contours with just a few (three) levels that go quickly to red so we can see where the big blobs are. Use maskout() or a negative color number to avoid drawing rain values outside the blobs and covering up the cloud data.
5. Add a small color bar for the precip data.

—Jennifer