[gradsusr] GFS total accumulated precipitation

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Mon Aug 17 11:10:43 EDT 2015

I have only one thing to add, and that is to be careful about accumulation periods. For the GFS 3-hourly data, the files at hour 03, 09, 15, and 21 are all 3hr accumulations, but hours 00, 06, 12, and 18 are 6-hour accumulations. If you have a 3-hourly time series, you should use the optional tinc argument in the call to sum, e.g.:

ga-> d sum(p,t=1,t=81,2)

—Jennifer

On Aug 5, 2015, at 6:21 AM, Brian Gaze <brian.gaze at NTLWORLD.COM> wrote:

> Perfect. Thanks Jim.
>
> On 4 August 2015 at 20:45, James T. Potemra <jimp at hawaii.edu> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Sorry, yeah you'll have to concatenate the files together.  But, you can do that with the template option in grads.  An explanation is given at http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/templates.html.
>
> Jim
>

> On 8/3/15 8:29 PM, Brian Gaze wrote:
>> Thanks Jim.
>>
>> Understand the function, but to use does it require me to first concatenate the individual grib2 files together for each time step required?
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> On 4 August 2015 at 02:59, James T. Potemra <jimp at hawaii.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> You should be able to use the GrADS function "sum", e.g., 'd sum(precip,t=1,t=384)'.
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On 8/3/15 10:46 AM, Brian Gaze wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to plot a chart using shading and contours for a lat long range (rather than single point) which displays the total accumulated precipitation for a series of time steps rather than each individual one in the GFS run. For example, total precipitation for 0 to 384 hours, lat 30 to 60, lon -45 -60.
>>>
>>> The GFS grib2 files don't seem to contain a variable with this data so I'm guessing it's necessary to sum precipitation values from each individual file? Any suggestions for the best way to go about this?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> BWG

Jennifer M. Adams
111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3