[gradsusr] W vector on north-south transect

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 13:43:25 EDT 2014

Jonathan,
I'm not sure I understand the difficulty you are facing.  GrADS cannot
display three-dimensional vectors, so if you want to visualize all three
components to the wind, one of them will have to be displayed as contours
rather than as vectors.  The plot you attached makes sense if you want to
look at advection of carbon monoxide along a north-south vertical cross
section.

Please clarify the problem.

Jeff Duda

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Jonathan Wynn Smith <jwsmith9 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good afternoon:
>
> 'a = ave(U.1,t=289,t=1008,1)*100'
> 'b = ave(V.1,t=289,t=1008,1)*100'
>
> 'c = ave(W.1,t=289, t=1008)*100'
> "xcbar 1 10 0.3 0.5 -fw 0.175 -fh 0.175 -line on"
>

> "set gxout vector"
> 'd skip(c,6,3);skip(u,6,3)'
>

> Above, GrADS is displaying a north-south transect of carbon monoxide with
> vertical motion vectors.
>
> The W variable will not display vectors by itself. I actually will display
> W contours but I need vectors. It seems that there has to be one of the
> horizontal variables displayed in conjunction W for vectors to display.  I
> chose U in the above case.  Does this mean the U component of the vertical
> wind?
>
> Is it possible to print out the W vectors without the U or V components?
>
> I have attached a figure of what I am referring to.
>
> Thanks
> Jonathan
>
> --
> *Jonathan Wynn Smith, Ph.D.*
> jonathan.smith at noaa.gov
> 301-683-0500
> Postdoctoral Research Associate
> National Academy of Science/National Research Council Associateship
> NOAA/NESDIS/STAR/SMCD, #2844
> 5830 University Research Ct.
> College Park, MD 20740-3818
>

> *Lord, you establish peace for us; all that we have accomplished you have
> done for us. - Isaiah 26:12*

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant