[gradsusr] HDF5 to Netcdf

James E Johnson james.johnson at nasa.gov
Wed Oct 29 11:29:06 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 29 October 2014 05:15:53 Sourabh Shrivastava wrote:
> Dear,
>  I am using MODIS HDF4 data sets. but i am not able to read HDF4 or HDF5
> data in grads.
>
> Please suggest me how i can read this data in grads.
>
> Thanking You

You should be able to, GrADS has had support for HDF4 SDS type for years now,
and same with HDF5 (which is actually the file format that netCDF4 uses now).
You most likely need to write a GrADS control file .ctl, since GrADS by
default doesn't understand the EOS conventions for latitude, longitude and
time. Read the documentation describing the MODIS file structure for these
data products, and then write the appropriate control file.
| James E. Johnson                   | address:                              |
| ADNET Systems, Inc.                |  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center     |
| e-mail: james.johnson at nasa.gov     |  Data and Information Services Center |
| phone:  301-614-5121               |  Code 610.2, Bldg 32, Room S130G      |
| fax:    301-614-5268               |  Greenbelt, MD  20771                 |