[gradsusr] Need help with time dimension in GrADS

Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov
Tue Oct 28 18:13:24 EDT 2014

I have a netCDF file with a 12-element time dimension, expressed in  "seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00", with the first time on Jan 1, 1998.  But when I read in the file (attached), it seems to see only the first time:

> ga-> sdfopen test4.nc
> Scanning self-describing file:  test4.nc
> SDF file test4.nc is open as file 1
> LON set to 137.875 179.875
> LAT set to 1 1
> LEV set to 0 0
> Time values set: 1998:1:1:0 1998:1:1:0
> E set to 1 1

with the result then when I plot it, I get not the hovmoller I wanted, but just a line plot vs. longitude.

I tried xdfopen with the descriptor file:

> DSET test4.nc
> TDEF time 12 LINEAR 1JAN1998 1mo
> VARS 1
> precip=>precip
> ENDVARS

but with the same result.

What is the recommended way for encoding a time dimension either in netCDF for GrADS to use, or alternatively, using xdfopen?

--
Dr. Christopher Lynnes     NASA/GSFC, Code 610.2    phone: 301-614-5185
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" -- A. de Saint-Exupery