[gradsusr] Error Unable to open font file

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 27 09:23:09 EDT 2014

Hi, Michael —
I do not know what is causing your crash or why GrADS could open a font file once, but fail later on. As a workaround, I suggest taking your ‘set font’ command (the one where you define the font) outside the loop, it only needs to be there once. After that, if you change font numbers inside your loop, you can juse use ‘set font n’ and then GrADS won’t try to open the file repeatedly.
—Jennifer

On Oct 27, 2014, at 2:04 AM, Michael Bala <ekimalab at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to call a font file from local system located in
> /usr/share/fonts/, specifically, DejaVuLGCSansCondensed.ttf. It works
> fine in the first five loops, but encounters an error after.

> Error: Unable to open font file
> "/usr/share/fonts/dejavu-lgc/DejaVuLGCSansCondensed.ttf"
> Will use a default "sans-serif" font instead
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
>
> forecast time = +015
> Error: Unable to open font file
> "/usr/share/fonts/dejavu-lgc/DejaVuLGCSansCondensed-Bold.ttf"
> Will use a default "sans-serif" font instead
>
> After that, the whole script crashes and aborts.
>
> Any idea what causes this and how to get around this?
>

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Michael Bala
> PAGASA
> Manila, Philippines