[gradsusr] GFS plotting data from different files (different points of time) in one 2D (height – time) plot

André Petersen mail at andrepetersen.de
Sat Oct 18 15:50:37 EDT 2014

Dear subscriber,

I downloaded data from the american gfs weather modell (from
ftp://ftp.ncep.noaa.gov/pub/data/nccf/com/gfs/prod/gfs.2014101812/master, edit
date if you read more than 1 month later).

I am using grads to plot data and it works fine if I plot data from 1
timestep (=1 file) on a map. So my first try was to open the first 2
files and to make a shaded plot showing areas with the same wind speed
in the same color. What I get is an empty plot with correct axes.

|'open gfs.t12z.mastergrb2f00.ctl'

'open gfs.t12z.mastergrb2f03.ctl'

'set dfile 1'

'set time 12Z17OCT2014'
'set gxout shaded'
'set lat 50'
'set lon 0'
'set lev 1000 200'
'set t 1 2'
'd sqrt(ugrdprs*ugrdprs+vgrdprs*vgrdprs)*1.9438'

'set dfile 2'
'set time 15Z17OCT2014'
'set t 1 2'
'd sqrt(ugrdprs*ugrdprs+vgrdprs*vgrdprs)*1.9438'

I am using opengrads – Grid Analysis and Display System (GrADS) Version
2.0.2.oga.2.

Anyone who can help me plotting data from different timesteps (=
different files) into one plot?

Best regards,
André Petersen