[gradsusr] grads2.1.a1 bug?

Clark, Douglas B. dbcl at ceh.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 04:22:59 EST 2014

Semyon,

I think you are getting the missing (undefined) data value of -9.99e+08 and I assume that GrADS is avoiding dividing by a small number that could potentially cause the result to overflow. But 1e-8 is a rather conservative choice for a threshold beyond which the calculation is aborted.

I think GrADS started behaving in this more conservative way sometime around v2.0 (roughly). I have got used to scaling any expressions with small divisors, e.g. scaling your example by 1e6 gives:

ga-> d 1e6/(1e-8*1e6)
Result value = 1e+08

Unless there's a good reason for the relatively high threshold perhaps we can persuade the developers to use a smaller value in future....?

Doug