[gradsusr] Calculating Lapse Rate

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 00:35:06 EDT 2014

If you have temperature and height data on pressure surfaces, you can
calculate lapse rate as

'define lapserate = (tmpprs(z+1)-tmpprs(z-1)) / (hgtprs(z+1) - hgtprs(z-1))'

or if you're looking for the lapse rate between a specific set of pressure
levels

'define dtdz75 = (tmpprs(lev=500) - tmpprs(lev=700)) / (hgtprs(lev=500) -
hgtprs(lev=700))'

for instance, for the 700-500 mb layer.

Jeff Duda

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:25 PM, Perry, Aaron @ LSC <
Aaron.Perry at lsc.vsc.edu> wrote:

>  Good Morning All,
>
> Does anyone know of a way to calculate lapse rate?
>
> I realize that lapse rate is simply the change in temperature with height
> but, I've been having trouble putting to the concept into a working piece
> of a script.
>

> Onward and Upward,
>
> Aaron D. Perry
> Atmospheric Sciences