[gradsusr] How to rename a variable

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 12:19:18 EDT 2014

The grads user's guide section on var entries in the control
file<http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/descriptorfile.html#VARS>also
shows pretty clearly how to change the name of an array from what it
is in a netCDF file.  Using this method, you don't have to change the
actual netCDF file varname.

Jeff Duda

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Abatan Abayomi <yomiabatan69 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Edu,
> You can use ncrename -v p84.162,new_name infile1.nc outfile.nc
> Hope that work.
> Yomi
>

> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Eduardo Agosta Scarel <
> eduardo.agosta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Grads Users.
>> I am using ERA interim data stored in netcdf format; the problem is that
>> the variable name contains numbers (the name of the variable is p84.162)
>> which GRADS cannot hand as a name...
>> Is there any quick solution for that?
>> Any further suggestion?
>> Thanks a lot.
>> Edu.

>           Trust in the Lord......
>
> *******************************************************************************************
> *   Abayomi A. Abatan                             *   +1 515 296 8192
> (Home)       *
> *   Geo. and Atmos. Sci.                          *   +1 515 294 1321
> (Office)       *
> *   Iowa State University, Ames                 *   +1 515 203 9020
> (Cell)          *
> *   Iowa. USA.                                         *
>                             *

> *   Abayomi A. Abatan                             *   234-802-724-7846
> (out of service)
> *   Fed. Univ. of Tech.,                              *   234-803-217-8815
> (out of service)
> *   SEMS, PMB 704 Akure                       *
>
> *   Ondo Nigeria.                                      *

Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant