[gradsusr] Vertical Integrated Moisture Transport (VIMT)

Eric Altshuler ela at cola.iges.org
Mon May 12 17:47:29 EDT 2014

Hi Muhammad,

I think there are two issues here, but the problem might not be caused by either of them. First, you close file 1 after defining a variable. I don't think this is a good idea, since it leaves grads without a default file and the subsequent behavior of grads might be strange or incorrect (I ran into something like this in the past). Similarly, if there are several files open, the current default file should not be closed, for the same reason (e.g. if you have 'set dfile 2', don't close file 2 until you've set the default file to something other than 2). In your script, you should leave file 1 open and use 2,3,4 to refer to the files you open later.

There is also an error in the calculation. The vertically integrated moisture transport is NOT equal to the product of the vertical integrals of wind and moisture. You need to calculate it this way:

'define zon=vint(surfpres,shum.2*uwnd.3,500)'
'define mer=vint(surfpres,shum.2*vwnd.4,500)'

Best regards,

Eric L. Altshuler
Research Scientist
Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies
253 Research Hall, Mail Stop 6C5
George Mason University
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030 USA