[gradsusr] Unable To Open Concatanated Regional GEM GRIB2s With GrADS

Greg West gwest at eos.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 25 13:15:58 EDT 2014

Aaron,

>From your script it looks like you're grabbing the 15km GEM. The 15km used
to give me the same problem though. If you run g2ctl.pl on the concatenated
grib2 file, it will give you one grid description. The problem is that I
believe that's just based on the first field it encounters, and there might
be another field in the concatenated file that's on a different grid. I
think I download all of those fields except ABSV, and since that's a
derived field, I would suspect it might be the one on a different grid. I
would recommend downloading your usual files, but leaving them in their
separate grib2 files (1 field per file). Then pick a forecast time and run
each file through g2ctl.pl and see what grid description it gives you. The
ctl file generated for the ABSV file might be different from the others.

If ABSV is the problem field, an alternative to making a separate ctl file
just for that field would be to not download it, and instead calculate it
from the u and v winds.

Greg

____________________________
Greg West, PhD