[gradsusr] Shaded plot only for values above a minmum

Goodson,Ron [Edm] Ron.Goodson at EC.gc.ca
Mon Mar 3 13:06:01 EST 2014

totally agree.  Maskout reflects the size of the grid (as you note) ..
while the contouring interpolates.  But, I'm old so the maskout method
is still in many of my scripts from long ago... all of which are for
quick looks of the data rather than public (or publication) output.

ron

________________________________

From: gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org
[mailto:gradsusr-bounces at gradsusr.org] On Behalf Of Stephen McMillan
Sent: March 3, 2014 10:37 AM
To: GrADS Users Forum
Subject: Re: [gradsusr] Shaded plot only for values above a minmum

Hey Ron,
>From my experience, unless you have a relatively high resolution grid,
your maskout method tends to produce a jagged edge.  I think the "fancy
dancy" method does a much better job, producing fairly smooth edges even
on the coarser grids.  I've attached a sample overlaying the four cloud
cover layers in the GFS model output, using the first method that
Jennifer mentioned ('set gxout shaded2').  I'm using version
2.0.1.oga.1.  Of course, whatever works for you...
Stephen Mc

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Goodson,Ron [Edm]