[gradsusr] Use of ^ Character in Descriptor File

Stephen McMillan smcmillan at planalytics.com
Fri Jun 20 09:23:33 EDT 2014

This question is for those familiar with MS Windows...

The GrADS documentation states that "If a ^ character is placed in front of
*data_filename*, then *data_filename* is assumed to be relative to the path
of the descriptor file. If you are using the ^ character in the DSET entry,
then the descriptor file and the data file may be moved to a new directory
without changing any entries in the data descriptor file, provided their
relative paths remain the same."

However, I have not been able to get this to work.  My descriptor (.ctl)
and data file (.bin) have exactly the same names, apart from the
extensions, and reside in the same folder.  Here's the applicable "dset"
line in my descriptor file:
dset ^tfit.air-nino+soi+amo.lt12.jan51-02.bin

If I include the full pathname in dset, it works fine.  However, I want to
be able to move the files to a new folder without having to edit the dset
entry.  Is there an equivalent for Windows?

I'm using GrADS version 2.0.1.oga.1 on a Windows 7 pc.

Stephen McMillan

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or proprietary.

If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.