[gradsusr] interpolating data to a regular grid

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:53:14 EDT 2014

If the collect and collect2gr() functions don't give you the result you
want (I suspect they will not) you might have to use Fortran or some other
programming language to create a gridded field using a Cressman/Barnes or
some other scheme (even bilinear, bicubic, or inverse distance weighted
interpolation schemes could work, too).

Jeff Duda

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Zilore Mumba <zmumba at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Grads Users,
> I have station rainfall data which I want to draw contours. I have
> searched previous posts on regridding data to a regular grid, but am not
> sure if the suggested solutions are relevant to my case, or whether what am
> trying to do is possible. When I write the data in binary as longitude,
> latitude, value the display is very strange. I can write it as station
> values and display as in the file attached.
> What I want to be able to do is to interpolate between stations and draw
> contours.
> My data looks as follows:
> 01  28.92  -2.47  286.5
> 02  29.02  -2.68  168.8
> 03  29.25  -1.67  243.4
> 04  29.42  -2.07  204.9
> 05  29.55  -1.58  286.9
> 06  29.57  -2.48  230.
> 07  29.6   -1.5   177.5
> 08  29.72  -2.18  290.
> 09  30.05  -1.6   206.5
> 10  30.13  -1.97  178.1
> 11  30.5   -2.15  156.7
> The longitudes are sorted from smallest (western most) to largest, but
> obviously it is not possible to sort latitudes.
> Below is the ctl I wrote to display the data written as lon, lat value
> (without the id number)
> DSET      means.grd
> TITLE     Sample Data Set
> UNDEF    -9.99E33