[gradsusr] strange behavior

sim.aberson sim.aberson at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 23 12:25:33 EDT 2014

I am trying to make horizontal plots of wind velocity overlain with
station plots of dropwindsonde data.  I have done this dozens of times
in the past (for example, see
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/Storm_pages/ingrid2013/radar.html and click
on any of the images in yellow) and have gotten this to work fine for a
different case today.  I have one dataset that I cannot get to work, and
am now stumped.

When I open the file with the wind data first and the dropwindsonde data
second, I get plots only of the wind data and no errors.  When I open
the file with the dropwindsonde data first, then the wind data, I get
plots only of the dropwindsonde data and "Entire grid undefined" for the
wind data.  In this one case, I cannot get both types of data to plot
together and cannot figure out why.

I have tried to find differences between a script that works and one
that doesn't, but the only differences are in the 'draw title' line,
which should not make a difference.

I am using grads2.1-a1 on a mac.

I have put the radar data and control file (radar.dat and radar.ctl),
the dropwindsonde data (station.ctl, station.dat, and station_data.map),
and the scripts (wind.gs for radar data first, wind2.gs for
dropwindsonde data first) at
ftp://ftp.aoml.noaa.gov/pub/hrd/aberson/testcase.tar.

Thanks for any help.

--
Sim Aberson         AOML/Hurricane Research Division          Miami, FL
     "Hurricane states erect statues in my honor." -- David Sedaris