[gradsusr] * * * GrADS/VM 2.0.1 & 2.0.2 Released * * *

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jul 13 15:58:39 EDT 2014

All,

   GrADS/VM is an EXPERIMENTAL version of GrADS that runs entirely under
the Java Virtual Machine. GrADS/VM is based on the same C source code used
in the other versions of GrADS and uses NestedVM for binary  translation
into Java Bytecode.

   I just upload the experimental GrADS/VM builds for versions 2.0.1 &
2.0.2 to sf.net. These can be found under then"Java" subdirectory, e.g.,

   https://sourceforge.net/projects/opengrads/files/grads2/2.0.2.oga.2/Java

I do not anticipate GrADS/VM for the 2.1 series unless new volunteers come
along. For additional information on GrADS/VM see below.

Running it
========

On the command line enter:

% java -jar grads-x.y.z-superpack.jar

where "x.y.z" is the version.  In order to run grads you need to
separately download the support data (fonts, map datasets, etc.) and
set the GADDIR and GASCRP enviroment variables as described in

    http://grads.iges.org/grads/downloads.html

Limitations
========

So far we have been able to build a somewhat limitted version of GrADS/VM
which can read GRIB-1/2, HDF-4 and NetCDF-3; enter "q config" for a
descriptions of the available features. Any attempt to build it more
complex libraries (like DAP, HDF-5 and NetCDF-4) ran into a limitation
of NestedVM engine: too many symbols. This may be circumveted by
tinkering with the NestVM code but it requires a deeper undertanding
of it. Another possibility (which I have not explored) is to use the
NetCDF Java package and build interfaces to GrADS under NestVM. This
runs contrary to the philosophy of building java byte code com C
sources, but it may represented a more promising avenue as the NetCDF
Java package is feature rich and stable. In any event, the graphics
engine is already done in pure Java, so there is some precedence for
mixing C/NestedVM code and Java already. If anyone would like to
volunteer to further develop this concept please get in touch with the
developers.

Additional Information

http://opengrads.org/wiki/index.php?title=Building_GrADS_under_NestedVM_from_Sources

--