[gradsusr] [Opengrads-devel] Shared Library Error Prevents OpenGrADS 2.0.2 From Starting

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 2 10:29:21 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Devin Boyer <dboyer at wsi.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm attempting to install OpenGrads 2.0.2.oga.2 on our CentOS 5 machine
> and am running into some difficulty. I downloaded
> the grads-2.0.2.oga.2-bundle-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz package and untarred
> it. When I first run "grads" from this, I get 7 errors, 3 that version of
> GLIBCX aren't found (in  /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6) and 4 that versions of
> GLIBC aren't found (in /lib/libc.so.6). (I can provide the exact error
> output if that is helpful.)
>
> To remedy, I tried to copy those libraries from those included in the libs
> directory to the gex directory, as suggested in the documentation.

As mentioned in the documentation, add only one library at a time. If it
complained about "libstdc++.so.6" then add this one and see what happens.
Do not not add "libc.so.6" unless you have a reason to do so.

> After doing that, I now get this error:
>
> /opt/opengrads2.0.2/Linux/Versions/2.0.2.oga.2/i686/grads: error while
> /opt/opengrads2.0.2/Linux/Versions/2.0.2.oga.2/i686/gex/libc.so.6:
> unexpected PLT reloc type 0x2a

Try removing libc.so.6 from gex/ and see what happens (but keep
libstc++.so.6). I know it is counter intuitive.

> Interestingly enough, if I download the previous GrADS release
> (2.0.1.oga.1), everything works fine if I simply just extract contents of
> the tarball.

Release 2.0.1 was built in 2011 and it is possible that I has running
CentOS 5 back then. My i686 build machine is a recent Ubuntu release.

> This happens with both the oga.1 and oga.2 releases of version 2.0.2. I
> did notice that there's a bit of a difference in filenames between 2.0.1
> and 2.0.2 - could this be part of the difference?
>
> grads-2.0.1.oga.1-bundle-i686-glibc2.5-linux-gnu.tar.gz
> -versus-
> grads-2.0.2.oga.2-bundle-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.gz

I was including the libc version  by hand just for reference and I forgot
to do it this time; this should not be an issue.

> Does this seem to be some sort of issue with the distribution or does it
> seem more like a problem on my end?

Try removing libc.so.6 from gex/ and let me know what it happens. If it
still does not work we will need to perform a build on your machine. Please
post you reply on gradsusr in order to provide a searcheable reference for
this particular issue.

     Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva