[gradsusr] Problem with Ensemble Files

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Mon Jan 20 13:36:02 EST 2014

Yes, I agree that the behavior for e03 is weird, but for the purpose of debugging, it would be helpful to rule out the other things I point out.
1. Make sure that TDEF is big enough to cover all time steps in all members.
2. Use wgrib2 to make sure that all data files have the expected number of time steps for all variables.
3. Run gribmap with the -v option and see if every record in every file gets matched.
--Jennifer

On Jan 20, 2014, at 12:21 PM, Tom Hultquist wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> The ctl file for the most recent "run" is attached. It works ok except for the issue I described (member #3 always causes the issue). GrADS is version 2.1.a1, although I also had the issue with 2.0.2. As best I can tell g2ctl.pl is 0.0.4o, so perhaps that is an issue (since I do see a more recent version, 0.0.8.8 online). I suppose I'll give that a shot in the meantime.
>>
>> tom
>>

>> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:
>> Tom,
>> Can you please provide the source of your grib files, and the descriptor file that doesn't work? I can't resolve a problem that can't be reproduced. It would also be useful to know the version of GrADS and g2ctl you're using.
>> --Jennifer
>>
>> On Jan 19, 2014, at 3:12 PM, Tom Hultquist wrote:
>>
>>> I have a set of files with different initial times, whose forecast times overlap so that I can use them as an ensemble dataset. I am using g2ctl.pl with the -ens option, and it is creating a proper ctl file. I thought everything was working fine, but then noticed some oddities in a few calculations I was doing. So, I decided to view data from each member interactively in GrADS, using the ctl file which was created by g2ctl.pl. For some reason, it would not display anything from the third ensemble member (entire grid undefined). There was, however, nothing wrong with the file, since it worked fine if viewed individually outside of the ensemble set. In addition, when a new ctl is created later, and that member 3 became member 4, it no longer caused a problem. However, the "new" member 3 (which was previously member 2) had the same issue. When looking at the gribmap feedback (with -v turned on), I can see it runs into issues with valid times being outside of file limits (which indeed is true, since the files overlap, but don't cover the exact same time frame as member 1). When gribmap has this error, it shows it= (e.g. it=10) vs t= for the valid time conflict. I couldn't find any info on what it= references. The same error happens with subsequent files (members 4-20), but gribmap appears to scan those files twice and they display properly for me.
>>>
>>> Has anyone experienced anything like this, and/or have any suggestions?
>>
>> --
>> Jennifer M. Adams
>> Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA)
>> 111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
>> George Mason University
>> 4400 University Drive
>> Fairfax, VA 22030

> Jennifer M. Adams
> Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA)

Jennifer M. Adams