[gradsusr] OpenGrADS Development Status

Arlindo da Silva dasilva at opengrads.org
Thu Jan 2 15:16:08 EST 2014

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM, Levi Cowan <lcowan2 at alaska.edu> wrote:

> Dear Dr. Silva,
>
> I am an active developer of data visualization products using GrADS, and I
> have relied on the functionality provided by OpenGrADS during the last
> year. From what I gather, you appear to be one of the main developers of
> OpenGrADS and its extensions. I am emailing to inquire after the status of
> the OpenGrADS project. Although PyGrADS was lightly updated earlier this
> year, OpenGrADS has exhibited no activity since 2011 that I can perceive,
> and COLA is moving into GrADS 2.1, with no indication so far that OpenGrADS
> is planning a new release. Is the project dead, or is it still under active
> development? I and others would like to know whether or not sticking with
> OpenGrADS is viable for the future.

   OpenGrADS is not dead, but unfortunately I have had not much time to
devote to it lately.  I have an internal release of OpenGrADS v2.0.2.oga.1
which I need to release publicly before jumping into v2.1. I hope to be
able to have 2.0.2 out in the next couple of weeks.

   Now, the OpenGrADS project could always use an infusion of new
developers. If you are an experienced C programmer and would like to
contribute please get in touch withy me. Besides programming, writing
documentation and preparing recipes for the "OpenGrADS Cookbook" are also
good ways to give back to the community.

   Happy New Year!

      Arlindo

--
Arlindo da Silva