[gradsusr] Files for polar stereographic map projection

Sim D. Aberson sim.aberson at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 2 07:29:25 EST 2014

On 1/1/14, 5:23 AM, Yaqiang Wang wrote:
> You should write the data following polar stereographic projection
> coordinate but not LongLat coordinate. Then a PDEF line should be added
> in the control file (http://www.iges.org/grads/gadoc/pdef.html).

That's good information, but doesn't answer my question.  Do I write the
origin points once or 360 times?

Thanks

> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 4:03 AM, sim.aberson <sim.aberson at noaa.gov
> <mailto:sim.aberson at noaa.gov>> wrote:
>
>     I have written fortran code to output fields on a south polar
>     stereographic grid.  When I plot, the values seem to drift from their
>     correct location as I get further into my file, so I am doing something
>     wrong.  My control file has:
>
>        XDEF    360   LINEAR  -180.000     1.000000
>        YDEF    300   LINEAR   -90.000     0.009009
>
>     When I write the file, do I write the 360 points at -90 latitude (even
>     though they are all the same value), or is GrADS just expecting one
>     value there, followed by the 360 points for the next latitude.  I am
>     doing the former, but if GrADS is expecting the latter, that could
>     account for the drift.
>
>     I could not find this information in the online documentation.
>
>     Thanks
>
>     --
>     Sim Aberson         AOML/Hurricane Research Division          Miami, FL
>          "Hurricane states erect statues in my honor." -- David Sedaris

> Dr. Yaqiang Wang
> Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences (CAMS)
> 46, Zhong-Guan-Cun South Avenue
> Beijing, 100081
> China
>
> yaqiang.wang at gmail.com <mailto:yaqiang.wang at gmail.com>
>
> http://www.meteothinker.com

One day, the wind blowed so hard, it blowed a well up out of the ground;
blowed so hard, it blowed a crooked road straight.  Another time it
blowed an' blowed, an' scattered the days of the week so bad Sunday
didn't get around 'til late Tuesday mo'nin.  -  The WPA Guide to Florida