[gradsusr] Filling entire plot area issue..

Jennifer Adams jma at cola.iges.org
Thu Feb 27 15:41:27 EST 2014

Here is what I would do:

1. set parea to the full page: 'set parea 0 11 0 8.5'

2. Constrain the domain so that the desired area is shown. This can be done by limiting the lat/lon dimension environment, by using 'set mpvals', or both. GrADS will fill the plot area as best it can while still maintaining the proper aspect ratio -- don't worry about whether the plot stretches to the very edges of the page, just get the display inside the frame to be the way you want it.

3. call 'q gxinfo' and parse the output to get the size of the frame. E.g.

ga-> q gxinfo
Last Graphic = Contour
Page Size = 11 by 8.5
X Limits = 0.5 to 10.5
Y Limits = 1.25 to 7.25
Xaxis = Lon  Yaxis = Lat
Mproj = 2

Note the The display is 10 inches in X (10.5 minus 0.5) and 6 inches in Y (7.25-1.25). This means your plot has an aspect ratio of 1.6667.

4. Quit grads, then restart with "grads -a 1.6667" instead of using -l or -p.

5. check the 'q gxinfo' output again:

ga-> q gxinfo
Last Graphic = Contour
Page Size = 11 by 6.59987
X Limits = 1.25011 to 9.74989
Y Limits = 0.75 to 5.84987
Xaxis = Lon  Yaxis = Lat
Mproj = 2

6. Note the different page size. Use these numbers to change your parea command:
'q gxinfo'
psz=sublin(result,2)
xsz=subwrd(psz,4)
ysz=subwrd(psz,6)
'set parea 0 'xsz' 0 'ysz-0.0001
Rounding issues force me to reduce the y size by a tiny bit in order to avoid the message: 'parea values beyond page limits.'

7. Now redo your display and you'll see that your plot fills the entire window. Here is a sample:

--Jennifer