[gradsusr] Masking out grid boxes for elevation correction

Roberto Mera RMera at ucsusa.org
Tue Feb 18 13:15:20 EST 2014

Sure thing.

I'm putting output from HadRM and NARR onto a common 25 km grid.

I will only be adjusting temperature such that once the adjustment has been calculated, I can do the following: Tavg_dif =  Tavg_model - Tavg_narr + adjust

So, what I need is to be able to make a mask with the adjustment such that it gets computed using 6.5 c/km lapse rate except for over the grid cells over the Cascades and Sierra as I specified below. Over the mountains the lapse rate is 4.5 c/km.

I want to know how I can mask out a couple of boxes of grid points over the mountains. In the past I have been able to mask out the ocean, for example. But in this work it's not necessarily a mask over a certain height (say 2000 meters). Doing so misses most of the Cascades and adds other areas in the high desert that we prefer to leave at 6.5 c/km. Instead we want to do it specifically for the mountain ranges.

Thanks!

Robert