[gradsusr] help with templating

Jeff Duda jeffduda319 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 15:55:52 EST 2014

I have a series of post-processed WRF files that were run through the UPP.
I selected only a certain range of forecast hours to be processed (fhrs 19
through 26). To view these data using one control file in GrADS I used the
following template string

dset ^WRFPRS_d01.%f2

which corresponds to file names like
WRFPRS_d01.22
WRFPRS_d01.23
WRFPRS_d01.24
WRFPRS_d01.25

Yet when I run gribmap, I get errors because it assumes I'm starting at
hour 00:

-bash-4.1$ gribmap -e -i control.ctl
 grib1map:  opening GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.00
 grib1map warning: could not open GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.00
 grib1map:  opening GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.01
 grib1map warning: could not open GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.01
 grib1map:  opening GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.02
 grib1map warning: could not open GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.02
 grib1map:  opening GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.03
 grib1map warning: could not open GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.03
 grib1map:  opening GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.04
 grib1map warning: could not open GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.04
 grib1map:  opening GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.05
 grib1map warning: could not open GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.05
 grib1map:  opening GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.06
 grib1map warning: could not open GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.06
 grib1map:  opening GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.07
 grib1map warning: could not open GRIB file: WRFPRS_d01.07
 grib1map:  reached end of files
 grib1map:  writing the map...

If I change the template string to %h2 instead of %f2, it resets to
WRFPRS_d01.00
after looking for
WRFPRS_d01.23,
so it doesn't encompass the entire forecast range I'm looking for.

I can get around this problem by using the %ch template string, but this
seems unnecessarily complicated for what I'm trying to do. Does anyone know
why this happens or have a suggestion for a better template?

Jeff Duda
--
Jeff Duda
Graduate research assistant