[gradsusr] plotting sea ice data in GrADS-defining grid

Kyle Clem Kyle.Clem at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Aug 26 06:32:03 EDT 2014

Hello GrADS users,

I just started my PhD, and would like to begin incorporating sea ice data into my work. I am trying to convert the Nimbus-7 SMMR and DMSP SSM/I-SSMIS Passive Microwave Dataset (as a service description file .srv) to a GrADS data descriptor file for plotting. Unfortunately, I have not been able to accurately specify the grid values, in particular the undefined values (UNDEF), and possibly the XDEF and YDEF range/contour intervals (not sure if these are correct either). If anyone could take a look at the specifications below and tell me if they see an error, I would greatly appreciate it. Or, if I am missing something.

When I display the descriptor file in GrADS, it says "Entire Grid Undefined."

cat > seaice_con_${seas}.des <<EOF
DSET ^seaice_con_${seas}.bin
TITLE ${seas} Sea Ice Con
options sequential
UNDEF -9e33
XDEF 316 LINEAR 0 1.138089297
YDEF 332 LINEAR -90 0.1520239364
ZDEF 1 LEVELS 1000
TDEF 1 LINEAR Dec1980 1yr
VARS 1
ice_con 1 99 ice_con
ENDVARS
EOF​

Thank you very much for your help!
Kyle Clem

Kyle Clem, M.Sc.
PhD Student
School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences
Victoria University of Wellington
Cotton Building, Room 222
kyle.clem at vuw.ac.nz