[gradsusr] gadxdf error: Missing or invalid dimension size

Noelia otero noeli1680 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 07:49:34 EDT 2014

Hi ,

I am having some problems to create and open a descriptor file. I have
already read post about that, but I can't find the problem.

This is the information from ncdump -h :

dimensions:
longitude = 144 ;
latitude = 73 ;
Time = 1 ;
variables:
double longitude(longitude) ;
longitude:units = "degreesE" ;
double latitude(latitude) ;
latitude:units = "degreesN" ;
double Time(Time) ;
Time:units = "month" ;
float north(Time, latitude, longitude) ;
north:units = "days" ;
north:missing_value = -999.f ;
north:long_name = "NorthType" ;
}

I tried to open the file with sdfopen, and I got the error:
Scanning self-describing file:  file1.nc
gadsdf: SDF file has no discernable X coordinate.

then, I created the data descriptor like:
DSET file1.nc
UNDEF -999
TITLE cwt
XDEF 144 LINEAR 0.0 2.5
YDEF  73 LINEAR  -90 2.5
TDEF   1 LINEAR   jan 1961 1Mo
OPTIONS yrev

VARS 1
north 0 99 north
ENDVARS

and the problem is still happening.. , now the message is:
Scanning Descriptor File:  file1.ctl
gadxdf error: Missing or invalid dimension size.
  --> The invalid description file record is:
  --> xdef 144 linear 0.0 2.5
  The data file was not opened.

anyone could give an idea?? I don't know how fix it.

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Noelia.