[gradsusr] Precipitation Difference

mehwish ramzan mehwish.ramzan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 14:20:40 EDT 2014

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Yes i was able to display 'c1-c2'.

After trying different ways of calculating a difference, i obtained correct
results by defining the 'fut' and 'pas' at the end of file instead of the
defining them during  'set dfile 1 and 2'.

I really appreciate your kind help as well.

Thank you

With Best Regards,

Mehwish

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 3:08 AM, Jennifer Adams <jma at cola.iges.org> wrote:

> Are you able to 'd c1-c2' ? If not, then you will have to write out your
> intermediate results (fut and pas) using fwrite, create descriptors with
> the same time axis (should be a tsize of 1, right?), and then you'll be
> able to display the difference.
> --Jennifer
>

> On Apr 18, 2014, at 3:57 AM, mehwish ramzan wrote:
>
> Dear GrADS Community,
>
> I need help your kind help. I am trying to make a differential map between
> JJA precipitation in mm/day for past and future climate using the same
> climate model with same resolution but with different time periods by using
> the following script;
>
> 'open rain_future.ctl'
> 'open rain_past.ctl'
> 'set display color white'
> 'c'
>
> 'set lon 10 100'
> 'set lat -20 50'
> 'set mpdset hires'
>
> 'set dfile 1'
> 'set t 1  12'
> 'define c1= ave(prec, t+0, time=dec2050, 12)'
> 'modify c1 seasonal'
> 'define fut= ave(c1, t=6, t=8)'
>
> 'set dfile 2'
> 'set t 1 12'
> 'define c2 = ave(prec, t+0, time=dec2005, 12)'
> 'modify c2 seasonal'
> 'define pas= ave(c2, t=6, t=8)'
>
> 'define diff = fut - pas'
>
> 'd diff'
>
> But i receive an error message.
> '' cannot contour grids--- all undefined values''....
>
> So please tell me where i am doing wrong in the above script? Or is there
> an alternate method to calculate it?
>

> Thank you
>
> With Best Regards,
>
> Mehwish

> Jennifer M. Adams
> Center for Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Studies (COLA)
> 111 Research Hall, Mail Stop 2B3
> George Mason University
> 4400 University Drive
> Fairfax, VA 22030

Mehwish RAMZAN
Doctoral Candidate,
 Oki Laboratory / Yoshimura Laboratory
Available at:
Atmosphere and Ocean Research Institute, Kashiwa Campus, University of
Tokyo,Japan
*Also at:*Institute of Industrial Science, Komaba Campus, University of
Tokyo,Japan
phone : +81-80-4806-3962
email: mehwish at rainbow.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp